|Tuesday, October 22, 2019|
|Looking for a Mentor to help you learn and grow?|
The Women in Business Council mentoring program applications are now available to any Tempe Chamber member who is looking to gain insight and knowledge in business and in life. If you or someone in your organization could benefit from this six-month program, we encourage you to apply to be a Protege
You can download the Mentoring Program Overview which includes program benefits and the program schedule to share with your leadership before you apply. Applications are due October 31st. Any questions regarding the mentoring program, or about how to become mentor, please contact the Director of Marketing and Programs, Sukki Jahnke
|Become a Veteran Supportive Employer!|
The Tempe Chamber Military Affairs Committee is proud to partner with the Arizona Coalition for Military Families to provide our members with FREE training on becoming an Arizona Veteran Supportive Employer.
This training will take place Wednesday, December 4 from 8 am - 12 pm.
|Nominate Your Favorite Small Business!|
America’s Fall Bucket List nomination period runs Tuesday, October 1 through Friday, October 25.
To nominate a local business, a person simply has to 1) Create a post on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter 2) Include a picture of the business they want to nominate 3) Tag that business and 4) Include #americasfallbucketlist
Excelerate America will then release America’s Fall Bucket List, a downloadable and shareable eBook, the week of October 28. The document will include all of the small businesses submitted nationwide.
|Are You Only Encouraging Healthy, Active Employees During Open Enrollment?|
It is that time of year again; open enrollment.
Employers are presenting benefit options for the upcoming year and providing education to their employees. Employees are selecting their benefits for 2020. As an employer, you provide details on each of your plans for your employees to make informed decisions.
To read more on open enrollment, employee benefits, and the Tempe Chamber Affinity Healthcare Plan click here.
|Tempe Chamber of Commerce Set to Recieve Award|
On November 13, the Tempe Coalition will host the 3rd Annual "Celebrating Champions for Youth". That evening, the Tempe Chamber of Commerce will be honored with the Adult Advocate Award which is for an Organization or non-profit who advocates for programs, policies, laws to help provide Tempe Youth with an environment where they can live to their full potential.
|It's a Renovation Celebration Happening This Thursday!|
October 24th from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm celebrate the new renovation of Holiday Inn Express and Suites!
1520 W Baseline Rd Tempe, AZ
- Every person to attend will receive a free night stay gift certificate!
- Prize give away includes a 50" TV!
- Light food and refreshments will be provided!
|Employee Continuing Education at Perimeter83|
As a follow up to our recent Emerging Issues Forum that discussed continuing education for your employees, we have asked our education partners to share their offerings with our members.
Perimeter83 at the University of Advancing Technology (UAT) offers a dynamically flexible learning approach, SyncFlex®. SyncFlex maximizes convenience with online and/or on-ground learning, where work and innovation are the primary focus. Ideal for busy adults, your program fits in and compliments your life how you need it to. To learn more about UAT’s learning approach, SyncFlex, click here.
|VICINITY Tempe Charity Gala This Friday!|
One of Tempe's most unique and nostalgic venues, join Tempe Community Action Agency on October 25th, and mingle the evening away under the stars at the iconic Big Surf Waterpark.
The evening festivities will feature a variety of small plate appetizers from ten area restaurants and caterers, local beer and wine, live music from local fave Walt Richardson, and a fabulous silent auction. Register here.
|"i Run 4 Good" This Saturday|
iRun4Good’s 2019 event will benefit United Food Bank, a community partner that is dedicated to feeding Arizonans in need. This is a great opportunity to rally for the good of the community and raise awareness while having fun and making a positive difference in Gilbert and East Valley communities. Register here!
Trick… or treat? A spooky event for all ages! Howl-O-Ween includes activities and experiences for the whole family.
Looking for scary tricks? SCARY activities are for guests ages 8 and older who like a good scare! Sweet treats more your style? MERRY activities are appropriate for all ages. For more information, click here.
|Halloween Stroll and Costume Contest|
Bring your little ghosts, goblins, superheroes, and princesses to the second annual Halloween Stroll in Downtown Tempe. This free admission event includes Halloween-inspired crafts, games, trick-or-treating with downtown Tempe businesses, and a costume contest. Don’t forget your loot bag!
|TACOTOPIA at Tempe Marketplace|
Step into a fiesta at TACOTOPIA at Tempe Marketplace, September 21-November 24, 2019.
TACOTOPIA is an immersive pop-up taco wonderland filled with sharable photo ops at every turn. Ride the mechanical taco; dive into a larger-than-lime bowl of guac; swing on the famed lime wedge, and spread your love of tacos in more than 30 interactive, Instagram-able installments. Click here to learn more.
Every weekend through October 31st at the Desert Botanical Garden, experience a diverse kaleidoscope of butterflies from the Southwest, and discover the magnificence of the mighty monarch butterfly—from their amazing migration to the plants they need to survive. Find out more here.
Through the month of November, Gary Soto’s hilarious book comes to life in this charming new play about Chato, the coolest low-riding cat in the barrio.
|ANASTASIA at ASU Gammage - Next Week|
Inspired by the beloved films, the romantic and adventure-filled new musical ANASTASIA is on a journey to Tempe at last!
From the Tony Award®-winning creators of the Broadway classic Ragtime, this dazzling show transports us from the twilight of the Russian Empire to the euphoria of Paris in the 1920s, as a brave young woman sets out to discover the mystery of her past. Purchase tickets today.
|Fall Season - Metal Element|
Join Michele at Yoga for Today to learn about Fall, the Metal Element.
On November 2nd this class starts with a standing Qi-Gong practice and finishes with a yoga practice and mediation. All levels are welcome. Read more here.
- This class is included in all unlimited memberships.
- One class will be deducted from class package holders.
- Drop-in rate is $20
|6th Street Market Returns|
Downtown Tempe is thrilled to announce the return of the 6th Street Market beginning Sunday November 3rd, 2019. The market has revamped and upgraded specific aspects based on community feedback, and will be bigger and better than previous years; featuring monthly special programming and events, while highlighting Arizona‐based artisans, purveyors and makers.
The market takes place weekly on Sundays from 10am – 3pm at the newly‐renovated 6th Street Park surrounding Tempe City Hall, November 3rd through April 5th with the exception of certain select Sundays. Click here for more information.
For the rest of 2019, (on the third Wednesday of every month) Perimeter83 is inviting you to try Perimeter83 for free so you can see for yourself.
Here you'll have access items like:
- On-site tech talent
- Scrum-friendly team work spaces
- Campus-wide collaboration spaces
- Use of Technology
- PC and Apple workstations, 3D printers, laser cutters and other rapid prototyping technology
- Professional board room
Carvana has multiple job opportunities at their Tempe location, located on Rio Salado Parkway.
|Where were the Women? Tonight!|
Tonight from 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm Arizona Heritage Center presents “Where Were the Women?”
Anyone involved in contemporary social justice work, community mobilization, or college campus activism knows that women step up to carry a significant burden. It was no different during the civil rights era of the 1950’s and 60’s.
|Interstate 10 Broadway Curve|
The Arizona Department of Transportation wants your feedback on potential improvements to I-10.
- 5 to 8 p.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 24
- Presentations at 6 and 7 p.m.
- DoubleTree Phoenix Tempe (2100 S. Priest Dr Tempe, AZ)
CONSTRUCTION UPDATE WEEK OF October 21, 2019
- 9th Street & 11th Street west of Mill Avenue: Electrical upgrades for traffic signals may cause intermittent turn restrictions/closures. Concrete preparation work for the Overhead Catenary System (OCS) foundations continues. Expect sidewalk/crosswalk detours.
- Apache Blvd from Gammage Curve to Rural Road: Concrete preparation work for the OCS foundations continues, along with electrical upgrades. Traffic will be maintained in both directions. Expect sidewalk/crosswalk detours.
- Apache Blvd east of Rural Road: Track installation and OCS foundation work continues. Traffic maintained in both directions. Expect turn restrictions and possible sidewalk/crosswalk detours.
- Ash Avenue: Crews continue with traffic signal installation and OCS foundation installation along Ash Avenue.
- Ash Avenue and Rio Salado Parkway intersection: Road widening efforts are ongoing at the Ash Avenue/Rio Salado Parkway intersection in preparation for roundabout construction in early 2020. Expect left turn restrictions from westbound Rio Salado onto southbound Ash Avenue to remain in effect through October 25. Click here for more details.
- Mill Avenue and Rio Salado Parkway intersection: The Mill Avenue/Rio Salado intersection will be closed from 7 p.m. on October 25 to 5 a.m. on October 28 while crews adjust the grade of the intersection. Click here for more details.
- Rio Salado Parkway: Civil and track installation work is ongoing throughout the corridor. Overnight work will continue near the Marina Heights West intersection, resulting in left turn restrictions during work hours. Click here for more details.
Tempe Chamber of Commerce
1232 E. Broadway Rd. Suite #211
Tempe, AZ 85282